Anyone Know anyone to help with radio licensing

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

Hi guys just wondering if anyone know any radio clubs or hams in the seymour area
i want to take my hobby to the next level and go for my foundation license however
i dont even know where to start its not like i can just walk into a shop and sit a test
if anyone has any contacts or any more info would be gladly appreciated thx
vkcpolice

Re: Anyone Know anyone to help with radio licensing

Post by vkcpolice »

quote: You must have a license before using a Amateur Radio.

yea i know lol thats why i started this thread???????
mitch

Post by mitch »

How did you get busted?
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Doesn't matter how he got busted, he did. The documents on the links do not really supply any real information. In the first case, a fellow had his licence recinded, he continued to operate and caused interference. He was lucky that he was given the opportunity to dispose of the equipment rather than having it forfeited. The second one only states the obvious, you have to have a licence to transmit.

There have been a lot of discussions in these forums, sometimes quite heated and pointed. None the less, that Radio Communications Act prohibits possession of transmitting equipment unless authorised. Some people may not accept this and may reject it, and think it total foolishness, and often times the ACMA will turn a blind eye. Other times they won't, and I have seen people lose their transmitting equipment because they jumped the gun.

Unfortunately, due to the ACMA's ability to turn a blind eye on some occasions and work to the letter of the law at others, no precedent has been set and it is difficult to predict how any one given case will turn out. Further to that, the ACMA's rather limited resources makes it even more unpredictable, however, it is better to err on the side of caution. Take it from someone, who, when visiting mates, saw the feds turn up to bust his mates, and then try to defend them in court! That's me by the way.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Warren, please check your PP
mitch

Post by mitch »

What's the last line say? Something action taken within seven days?
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

It says, "advise action has been taken". It doesn't matter how anyone found out about the radio, (he has a web site, they could have got it from there), that's not the point. The point is, it is illegal to have transmitting equipment without an appropriate permit or licence. This point has been laboured at times in this forum and the idea had been ridiculed. Here's the proof, in plain language, without having to go to the act. Furher, from this letter, it is obvious that not everyone knows the rules. We, who have been around for a while need to remember that there are new commers who may not be familiar with the rules, protocols etc, but without these newcomers, our hobby, and in some cases, livlihoods, is dead in the water. I will close by saying that I am pretty certain that forums such as this, are perused by the authorities. Hi guys!
mitch

Post by mitch »

Absolutely agree, perused by many authorities I reckon, not just ACMA.

I must say it is good to see them out doing this stuff.

Also kudo's to you for being honest and not carrying on having a hissy fit over it.
mitch

Post by mitch »

And ta, couldn't quite read the 'advise' bit on the iPhone.
SteveO

Post by SteveO »

Maybe the acma could spend some time chasing down the asians who have been transmitting on the SES (467.250mhz) frequency for the past six months. Thats probably to hard for them though seeing as it hasn't been posted on a website like Warren did.
Steve
Comint

Post by Comint »

SteveO wrote:Maybe the acma could spend some time chasing down the asians who have been transmitting on the SES (467.250mhz) frequency for the past six months. Thats probably to hard for them though seeing as it hasn't been posted on a website like Warren did.
Has the SES made formal complaints to the ACMA about the interference, or do they just whinge about it amongst themselves.

--
Comint
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

There is a perception out there that the ACMA is a toothless tiger, or maybe a small ***** cat. This is generally true, especially if the complaint runs to TVI, when it comes to being proactive. However, from my experience, and from talking to others, they are generally ready to do something is a complaint is made, and prompt as well.
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

The way i read it on the acma's site it is illegal to own any radio equipment capable of transmitting unless authorized.
i read somewhere else its illegal to own a ham radio even when license if it is capable of transmitting outside the ham radio band. yet ive never seen any radios on the market that only have ham bands in them most are wideband radios that ppl program.

i just have scanners and a hf receiver so im all legal i hope :)
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

Vkfour wrote:It says, "advise action has been taken". It doesn't matter how anyone found out about the radio, (he has a web site, they could have got it from there), that's not the point. The point is, it is illegal to have transmitting equipment without an appropriate permit or licence. This point has been laboured at times in this forum and the idea had been ridiculed. Here's the proof, in plain language, without having to go to the act. Furher, from this letter, it is obvious that not everyone knows the rules. We, who have been around for a while need to remember that there are new commers who may not be familiar with the rules, protocols etc, but without these newcomers, our hobby, and in some cases, livlihoods, is dead in the water. I will close by saying that I am pretty certain that forums such as this, are perused by the authorities. Hi guys!
I never thought about it in this way but your post made me wonder - if I decide not to renew my ham licence after one year do I throw away all my equipment? Boggles the mind.
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

vkcpolice wrote:i read somewhere else its illegal to own a ham radio even when license if it is capable of transmitting outside the ham radio band. yet ive never seen any radios on the market that only have ham bands in them most are wideband radios that ppl program.
From my understanding, no. But again this is a topic being highly debated right now. I can't point you to the forums where it is being debated because you will need a AR callsign to even register and get in.

But for some general info, this is what sparked off the debate: http://www.wia.org.au/joinwia/wia/presidentsblog/
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

Im just a listen and a 27mhz cb skipmaster lol. i think radio licensing should be advertised more freely in newspapers or websites. its extremely hard to obtain a license because of all the searching and ringing up strangers to make appointments for lesson ect. its frustrating. its a dieing hobby you would think they would make it easier for young people to obtain a license