Pearce-Simpson super panther (18c-am/usb/lsb)

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
QLD-Bob

Pearce-Simpson super panther (18c-am/usb/lsb)

Post by QLD-Bob »

I have an old school Pearce-Simpson super panther 18ch am, usb, lsb radio that I was given, and I am told that it has had all its mods done to it allowing access to different bands. I know 4 5ths of burger all about this radio, or 27mhz radio in general.
I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to operate it properly.
If I am required to have a license to use this radio
any other info that I can get regarding the radio and what the mods do/mean, and how they work
Any info on using 27mhz radio use.

Anything I can find out will be helpfull as I know next to nothing about this area radio comms
Vkfour

Re: Pearce-Simpson super panther (18c-am/usb/lsb)

Post by Vkfour »

The radio has a number of channels that are no longer legal to use and misses out on a heap that are. Best to ditch it or use for parts.
QLD-Bob

Post by QLD-Bob »

Thanks for the info, It's only used in my car on am, as vehicle to vehicle comms while traveling in convoy, As the UHF is usually on the road channel or listening to local police. The old one school has less interference from other users, as their are very few people still using it. Is it possible to have the mods reversed? So that it's am, usb, lab only. I do know that the pa switch engages the extra Channels, so I figure if I don't switch that switch I'm not using any frequencies that I shouldn't be using, is that the case?
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

The old 18 channel Australian system did not line up with the American 23 channel and later, 40 channel system, which is in use now. From memory, US channels 1 to 4 and 16 were missing from our system. Our system had no frequencies under 27 MHz. Channel 5 US, was channel 1 Aus. But, as with the UHF question, provided you don't use frequencies that aren't part of the current system, you won't get into too much trouble. I have looked for the old 18 channel frequencies, but can't find them. If I do manage, I shall PP them to you.
Azoic

Post by Azoic »

QLD-Bob wrote:I have an old school Pearce-Simpson super panther 18ch am, usb, lsb radio that I was given, and I am told that it has had all its mods done to it allowing access to different bands. I know 4 5ths of burger all about this radio, or 27mhz radio in general.
I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to operate it properly.
If I am required to have a license to use this radio
any other info that I can get regarding the radio and what the mods do/mean, and how they work
Any info on using 27mhz radio use.

Anything I can find out will be helpfull as I know next to nothing about this area radio comms
What you have Bob is a piece of History.
It isnt worth much now, but hold on to it and dont let it go.

Essentially you have an illegal radio, but its actually very special.
I have the same 858 chip chassis radio myself.
Im guessing yours will cover something like 26500 Mhz upto 28650 Mhz.
This gives you NZ CB Aus CB Aus 27Mhz Marine and the lower 15 channels of the 10 m Amateur band.
The power of this chassis is most likely been upped to its stable max of about 8.5 Watts AM and near 18 Watts SSB.
It may also have been fitted with a TX clarifier, allowing the sliding of 5 Khz + / - either side of each channel.

Hold onto this radio, it might look old, but its worth a bloody fortune.