Getting an annoying transmitter off air.

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
wojtech
Newly Registered Users

Post by wojtech »

Hi All,

New to the forum but have been reading it for a bit.

Here where I live in Cairns QLD there is a very annoying bloke that holds up Channel 40 in town (anyone from the area will have heard his crap). A lot of the time going through Cairns and surrounds you have to turn the radio off because of this one guy. Everyone who hears it esp. truckies get very annoyed but because they talk back it obviously just spurs him on for more. We all know why people monitor ch40 and a lot of it has to do with know where those speed cameras and incidents are.

My question is;
How does someone who transmits annoying and sometimes explicit stuff over CB (channel 40), get caught out??
Who do you report these kind of transmissions to and what are the chances of actually having them removed from the public airwaves??
Comint

Re: Getting an annoying transmitter off air.

Post by Comint »

wojtech wrote:. . . Who do you report these kind of transmissions to and what are the chances of actually having them removed from the public airwaves??
Go here .../pc=CONTACT_COMPLAINTS_OVIEW

--
Comint
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

Good question , despite the fact it is the chook band , you still have to conform with the main part of the class license , if it was near me and it was that much of a problem to me I would be keeping a log of the issue , as well as keeping recordings , I would also try and narrow down any location of any other usefull info , all with out spurring this joker on then following the link provided I would report the issue ... Hopefully you get the result your hoping for ,, if all fails there is always the option of tracking the idiot down and taking a few feet out of the coax run but that's only plan b of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

or better still a nice small pin like whats used in sewing pushed through the coax will soon put a stop to idiots like that
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
vk3gcp

Post by vk3gcp »

Talk to a ham who does fox hunting or ardf. Borrow a UHF tracking antenna and a handheld cb receiver. When you hear him, take a bearing of what direction he is in. Do it from enough locations, and if you keep logs etc. you should be able to get a rough address.
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

Channel 40 is in OZ talk with lashings of the 'F' word. I can't understand 90% of it anyway. Our repeater has a few regular intrusive foul mouths and seriously brain damaged of doubtful parentage as well. :lol:
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

Just listen to the Brisbane ch 7 and Sunshine Coast ch 6 repeaters....there seems to be about 10 morons who literally live on their radio 24/7. Every second word starts with F or C and they give hell to anyone that dares to try and use the channel.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Even more reason to become an amateur! Greater power and coverage but more so everyone is held responsible for their transmissions. Should anyone misbehave they will be found and the penalties can hurt!
stickybeak

Post by stickybeak »

Generally it appears both in NZ and Oz that the authorities are pretty reluctant to act on anything to do with cb radio (both 27 & 477). You may have better luck if a few of you get together and get an approximate fix on the guys location. We actually went through this on our Channel 6 repeater it took about ten minutes to get his loacation with four guys tracking his signals with yagi's and driving around the area we quickly located his house. He wasn't too impressed when his name and address was mentioned on air, especially straight after he was giving some guys some very obscene verbal abuse,
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

stick to am 27mhz and ssb much nicer ppl great skip meaning longer communications. its where the real cb hobby lives uhf is and always will be the chicken band.
ozstickman

Post by ozstickman »

or deal with them like has happened in Brisbane and Sydney..... remove their means of using their radio.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

ozstickman wrote:or deal with them like has happened in Brisbane and Sydney..... remove their means of using their radio.
How?
ozstickman

Post by ozstickman »

one place in sydney had the power supply for the radios removed.... you know those boxes on the side of the house that the power company look into....
gordo92

Post by gordo92 »

some people just go over board with the garbage they put over UHF CB, i am lucky in where i live we don't have any brain dead idiots, though we do get the odd person who does not like been asked to move off of Channel 5/35, i am so glad i don't live in a city as it would drive me crazy listening to it, as stated above it is so good to be a Ham less idiots better comms and when people play up they are quickly found and reported and either get a massive fine or end up with no radio and no license.
VK4FABB

Uniden UBCD93XLT, FDC FD880, Yaesu VX-7R, Baofeng UV-5RE Plus, Motorola GP328 UHF, Yaesu FT-857d,Codan 8525a,Yaesu FT757GX, Vertex Standard System 600 (Yaesu FT-600), Vertex Standard VX-2500, Piece Simpson Super Cheetah MK III, GME TX3600 Tytera MD-380 ....ETC
leighbus

Post by leighbus »

I've always wanted to try track someone down. Anyone tried it? or able to suggest a good antenna to use?
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Plenty of info on the net. Google RDF, radio direction finding, fox hunting, even radio sport. In the case of fox hunting, throw in radio, or ham or something so you don't spend all day chasing the real thing! Many antennas can be jury rigged with pieces of wood, wire and held together with rubber bands, unless you want to take it up as a hobby, in which case, make the elements, or at least the ends of them out of something flexible. Steel tape measures are good, especially the small thin ones they use on key rings. The actual design doesn't have to be too fancy because you are not going to transmit out of it, and until you hit upon a good design, you can slide the elements around until you hear the best result. For UHF CB of 70cm ham, make the entire antenna flexible, or the elements at least. It is also handy if you can attenuate the signal when you get close to the transmitter you are chasing, but you can then change to a bit of wire to know if you are close and you can use your body as a reflector and an attenuator. Plenty of simple details for that on the net as well. ARRL handbook, available at a number of public libraries also has a lot on this.
gordo92

Post by gordo92 »

yeah all good fun mate, i currently have a idiot interfering with everything from UHF CB Channels to Ham Repeaters all the way up to annoying the cops some days in Biloela Queensland, i go for a nice walk with my Yaesu VX-7R and a home made around 459MHZ antenna and i am slowly honing in on the signal the 7R is good as it has a ATT function to drop signal strength when i get close
VK4FABB

Uniden UBCD93XLT, FDC FD880, Yaesu VX-7R, Baofeng UV-5RE Plus, Motorola GP328 UHF, Yaesu FT-857d,Codan 8525a,Yaesu FT757GX, Vertex Standard System 600 (Yaesu FT-600), Vertex Standard VX-2500, Piece Simpson Super Cheetah MK III, GME TX3600 Tytera MD-380 ....ETC
emergen

Post by emergen »

Idiots on the radio will and do occur. I originally came from the country and UHF CB was the mainstay of communications for farmers and businesses. Generally there were very few incidents of poor on air behaviour. I have lived in the city for a long time now. There is only one reason that I have a UHF CB in my vehicle and that is for road trips. I never turn on my UHF CB in the city as I cannot stand the on air stupidity.

I became a licensed HAM as I knew that etiquette is followed and there's general respect that comes with the hobby.

I must say I am noticing some semi-frequent moronic users of our local 2m repeater. That's most likely a result of people's ability to buy a 2m/70cm sub $100 HT off eBay. The infractions on the 2m repeater still pales in comparison to UHF CB.

If the OP decides to try some DF to find the culprit don't forget that attenuation can be achieved by using your body.

Good luck and happy hunting
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

Have you considered the possibility that a lot of the newer Vkers are ex-Cbers and have brought their chook-band habits with them? There are a few enfant terribles that come to mind who are now hams. And yes the Boafeng and Wouxon dual-banders are a pain in the ass for the ACMA
emergen

Post by emergen »

That's certainly a possibility Blacktown. However I certainly hope that's not the case. :( I do have an open mind that is a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk