VHF vs UHF for driving

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
Klavdy

VHF vs UHF for driving

Post by Klavdy »

G'day all,
Klavdy here.
Absolute beginner at all this, I've Googled the subject but ended up with conflicting info.
Question is, if we just want to talk to each other (in vehicles) with handhelds (Icom-icf50v's)are VHF's the better option for distance & clarity?
What legal issues are there when using VHF's vs UHF's?
Cheers.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: VHF vs UHF for driving

Post by Phantom »

Quite simple and clear!

Anyone is allowed to use the UHF CBRS freqs/channels however you are not allowed to use any other frequency unless you hold a valid licence or assignment from the ACMA.

Sadly from my brief searching, unless you hold a valid licence or at least a amateurs callsign, the F50 is nothing more than an expensive listening device as you are not allowed to TX on it

The authorities take "pirates" seriously and when found, you could potentially loose your radio/s and look at a nice fine.

If however you hold a valid licence for the band and radio in question - you would not be asking these questions
Klavdy

Post by Klavdy »

Sweet, guess I'd best go get a license then.
Umm, suppose the answers on the forum and use the search function, yeah?
Cheers.
rochedalescan
Founder

VHF vs UHF for driving

Post by rochedalescan »

Mate I reakon you are better to just replace them with UHF radios that way if you need to talk to the trucks you can and you need no license etc and there's 80 chanels to choose from. It depends how long distance wise you need to be in range and your terrain eg hilly area or flat
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Klavdy

Post by Klavdy »

Good advice thanks Shane, but I guess it doesn't matter too much as they will be used in Papua New Guinea.
Problem is though, we want to work to Australian Standards in everything that's not covered by equivalent P.N.G legislation and if you know P.N.G, you'll know how dysfunctional anything like that is.
This might be a big can of worms.
The terrain is mixed, some is coastal but a lot is really rugged, mountainous terrain.
We have repeaters that are a giant pain, they need refuelling and checking, the locals constantly steal the solar panels and diesel,any copper etc and trying to get security to stay on the repeater sites just doesn't work.
They are sometimes the ones that nick stuff.
Comint

Post by Comint »

Klavdy wrote:Sweet, guess I'd best go get a license then.
Umm, suppose the answers on the forum and use the search function, yeah?
Cheers.
Don't know what type of organisation you work for (apart for being a Mining/Exploration Co) but I would think any "responsible organisation" would already hold licenses. Perhaps they are held by your "bean counters" (although you should also hold copies in your radio workshop).

As for your proposal, in another thread, to "change frequencies" to overcome your "interference problems" - the frequency you operate on is dictated by the Radio Frequency Spectrum Regulatory Authority in your country (the ACMA in Australia - don't know what it is called in PNG), and indiscriminately changing frequencies could end up with your Company causing serious interference to other legal users in the Band. You MIGHT be able to overcome, or at least reduce, your "interference problems" by changing the CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System) Tone used on your radios (choice of 38 tones). This usually doesn't need Regulatory Authority approval.

The Regulatory Authority uses licensing as a means of managing the Radio Frequency (RF) Spectrum, which amongst other things, ensures that two businesses in the same area don't end up on the same frequency (Community Repeaters excepted). So if you find your radios are not licensed, being a Mining/Exploration Co, you may have to consider whether to just get licences for your current location, or whether they need to be Country wide licences, so the radios can be used anywhere in PNG without risk of interfering with someone else.

--
Comint
Klavdy

Post by Klavdy »

Geez.
I'm stuck at the moment, I've been in touch with the Head Shed in Aus, they claim they don't have anything to do with site issues like this radio one.
Hmmm.
The blokes that may have all that info left the company and the country.
The P.N.G communications Ministry is unable to provide any info whatsoever, (the site has been "Under Maintenance" since 2007!).
I got lumbered with this task, so I'll do my best to work it out, this site has been a great help so thanks all for your replies.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

What country are you going to use the radios in?
Comint

Post by Comint »

Klavdy wrote: The P.N.G communications Ministry is unable to provide any info whatsoever, (the site has been "Under Maintenance" since 2007!).
Maybe you need to look at the Papua New Guinea National Information and Communication Technology Authority Site, although most of the information is dated, there is at least some information available.

I don't know where they got their Bandplans from, but they certainly didn't copy Australia's, although the Bandplans do vaguely resemble New Zealand's.

--
Comint
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

PNG is NOT the place to get it wrong as their legal system is pretty basic and corrupt. This comes from personal experience. The site mentioned above does appear to have a load of stuff, dated maybe, and you'll have to wade through it but it may give you some hints on who to talk to. Good luck.
Phantom
Forum Manager

VHF vs UHF for driving

Post by Phantom »

Was that repeater interfering with other uses? Probably not, otherwise the acma would have done something about it. If the users are playing up, it's the Licence holders duty to do something about it (ie turn it off as it reflects back on the licencee) simple really!

Don't count on it mate. The acma take it seriously

They are very active in finding those responsible for interfering on private bands or bands not allowed to be on.

They probably probably let dog be on the cbrs side of the UHF band, however if you start interfering on a private frequency in the UHF or VHF band, you will be found and dealt with.

We all know about it what's right and wrong. No one condones that kind of behavior. If u want to operate in these bands, get yourself licensed. Simple
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

actually i can agree with OP on several accounts CREST has sent interference reports to the Inference Unit providing you give them good leads and enough information they will action it.
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
BrianPerkins
Newly Registered Users

Post by BrianPerkins »

Klavdy wrote:Good advice thanks Shane, but I guess it doesn't matter too much as they will be used in Papua New Guinea.
Problem is though, we want to work to Australian Standards in everything that's not covered by equivalent P.N.G legislation and if you know P.N.G, you'll know how dysfunctional anything like that is.
This might be a big can of worms.
The terrain is mixed, some is coastal but a lot is really rugged, mountainous terrain.
We have repeaters that are a giant pain, they need refuelling and checking, the locals constantly steal the solar panel and diesel,any copper etc and trying to get security to stay on the repeater sites just doesn't work.
They are sometimes the ones that nick stuff.
Not a nice place to live surely..Even I have moved to new location keeping all these aspects in mind.
melbourneradio

Post by melbourneradio »

If used in dense scrubb I would be looking at low VHF 70mhz ...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
John Remington
VK3 XRI
South Eastern Communications
Radios-Communications- Pagers
facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Ea ... 183?ref=hl
http://www.secomms.com.au
sales@secomms.com.au