unusually strong CB performance

For amateur and citizens band radio enthusiasts, covering licensing issues, carrier dropping, sideband and all other related discussions
matthewl
Newly Registered Users

Post by matthewl »

Hi All,

First time poster on this forum but a user of scanners and CB radios for about 7 years.

Could somebody please explain what factors that have coursed this sudden increase of range from my handheld Oricom units 2watt. No changes to hardware have been made

This afternoon instead of my usual range of about 5 Km to the cars GME Tx4200 unit i was able to talk to mum in her car from my handheld at home of a LOS distance of about 13KM ( Road 15Km) . As well as being able to reach the channel 7 repeater which i have never been able to do. ( I used the VHQ07 to test if i was getting through and also used a radio on 37 and having dad listen to the radio on 7)

I am Located in between Browns Plains and Beaudesert about 50 Km south of Brisbane city. and would like to know what to research about this sudden gain.

Regards Matthew
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

It's probably got something to do with the term 'ducting' which is all to do with the weather, have a bit of a google or I'm sure someone can explain it a little better than me. Welcome to the forums :)
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
dags

Re: unusually strong CB performance

Post by dags »

us old fellows also used to call it (SKIP)
BradT87

Post by BradT87 »

Doesn't look like ducting was probable on monday.

Tropospheric Ducting maps and forecast website:
http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_aus.html
Comint

Post by Comint »

'Skip' and 'ducting' are generally HOT weather phenomena (think the middle of Summer).

And while there have been reports of very good HF conditions, over the last week or so, what affects HF usually has little or no effect on UHF.

There were reports of a 'Solar Flare' about a week ago, but they usually 'kill' communications, rather than enhance them.

Incidently, 'Skip' and 'ducting' are two different phenomena.

--
Comint
matthewl
Newly Registered Users

Post by matthewl »

Thanks for that guys.

However this
Comint wrote:'Skip' and 'ducting' are generally HOT weather phenomena (think the middle of Summer).
makes me even more confused as to what happened. However it teaches me to ignore the distance indication even more that is on the box.
hotmetal1000

Post by hotmetal1000 »

Was probably some tempature inversion that caused some low distace ducting.
If I remember rightly Monday was a bit of an odd day here tempature wise.
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

Uhf depends on a lot of factors including anttenas line of site and ducting. Ive archived 30km on 0.5 watts of power on a hot summer everning. Also signals can bounce of the ground giving further distance yet again
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

vkcpolice wrote:Uhf depends on a lot of factors including anttenas line of site and ducting. Ive archived 30km on 0.5 watts of power on a hot summer everning. Also signals can bounce of the ground giving further distance yet again
Bounce off the ground? I've never heard of that, could you provide me with a technical link? Much appreciated.
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Yep, UHF does not "skip", and I have been at the radio caper for over 40 years and have never head of UHF bouncing off the ground, absorbed yes, but bouncing, no. Of course, like Mr Chanjyj suggests, if you can point us towards some reference, we would both appreciate it. Given the weather of late, temperature inversion is the probable cause.
blacktown
Forum Manager

Post by blacktown »

The other factor that may contribute to an improved signal is that the repeater owner may have upgraded the equipment on site eg receive and transmit radios, put the antenna up higher etc. One of the Sydney repeaters is now booming in to most locations as a result of the owner using a "professional" to install quality radio equipment and working on elevating the antennas above their previous height. Has made the world of difference
chanjyj

Post by chanjyj »

To clarify the terms people use, for those not familiar with RF propagation. There are 3 main methods with relevance to scanners (yes there are others but irrelevant for this subject).

1. Line-of-Sight/LOS (Sometimes called direct wave)
2. Skip (E layer ionospheric refraction, F1, F2 layer ionospheric refraction)
3. Ducting (Tropospheric ducting)
leighbus

Post by leighbus »

I also encountered a similar occurance the other day. My company two way in my truck works in the VHF 156mhz range and won't normally work much further north than caboolture however my supervisor was able to reach me at caloundra although it was pretty crackly. But also I usually listen to nova 106.9 in the truck and I start to lose reception at beerburrum but on that same trip to caloundra I never lost reception once not even a crackle. I was wondering if maybe the recent warmer weather this week may be the cause.
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

Uhf does bounce bounce of the ground any frequency will giving the right circumstances ill find a link and provide more info
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

chanjyj wrote:To clarify the terms people use, for those not familiar with RF propagation. There are 3 main methods with relevance to scanners (yes there are others but irrelevant for this subject).

1. Line-of-Sight/LOS (Sometimes called direct wave)
2. Skip (E layer ionospheric refraction, F1, F2 layer ionospheric refraction)
3. Ducting (Tropospheric ducting)
4. Moon bounce anyone else heard of this strange one it does exitst i assure you
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

Definitely, EME has been around for a long time and it's really weird to listen to. With respect to bouncing off the ground, there is a phenonomon called ground wave, but this applies to long wave, medium wave and the lower sections of shortwave.
vkcpolice

Post by vkcpolice »

I have heard og ground wave propergation on uhf it is very rare but can happen majority of the time its ducting. Ive never heard moon bouncing but i read it on wiki once. I guess it would be in the higher bands ghz??