Satellite Communications

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Australia, covering all states and territories - discussion that is on a national level only
Boort8720

Satellite Communications

Post by Boort8720 »

Hi Guys,

I was just curious to see if anyone has anything to do with satellite communications. Is there anyway you can use a receiver (like a scanner) and pick up information, voice etc?

Thanks, Mitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mitch Baker - VK3GLV

Uniden UBCD396XT, BCT15X, UBCD996T, UBCD436-PT, Tait TM9100, Simoco SRM9000 (VHF + UHF DMAP), Icom IC-2730a, Codan 9323 (Codan 9030 Autotune Antenna), Retevis RT52
Comint

Re: Satellite Communications

Post by Comint »

Boort8720 wrote:I was just curious to see if anyone has anything to do with satellite communications. Is there anyway you can use a receiver (like a scanner) and pick up information, voice etc?
Over the years, the Amateur Radio fraternity has successfully launched a number of Low Earth Orbit satellites (over 40 for the Eastern Bloc countries, and over 85 for the West), and a lot of those can be received with a scanner, and a decent antenna.

Also, the International Space Station (ISS) transmits on Amateur Radio frequencies, mainly in the 2 metre and 70 centimetre Bands. Recently, the ISS has been transmitting Slow Scan TV (SSTV) pictures, but unfortunately NOT when over Australia.

--
Comint