Old School trying to get my head around New Tech

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Australia, covering all states and territories - discussion that is on a national level only
pussnboobs

Re: Old School trying to get my head around New Tech

Post by pussnboobs »

Thanks Phantom for your comments.
I have a great collection of adaptors / converters / fittings from other projects I am sure I will have something. In relation to the GPS do you have any idea how effective it would be for scanning when traveling if you don't have the right frequencies.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

I personally don't know, however I am sure there is someone on here that will be able to assist your question re GPS
youngn
Forum Manager

Post by youngn »

pussnboobs wrote:In relation to the GPS do you have any idea how effective it would be for scanning when traveling if you don't have the right frequencies.
I believe it is used to 'turn off and on' frequencies you already have programmed depending on your location. It will not magically find unknown local frequencies from the GPS.

However, close call would be a good friend whilst in 'unknown' areas, same as the ACMA database :)
"YOUNGN"
Newy1234

Post by Newy1234 »

pussnboobs wrote:Thanks Phantom for your comments.
I have a great collection of adaptors / converters / fittings from other projects I am sure I will have something. In relation to the GPS do you have any idea how effective it would be for scanning when traveling if you don't have the right frequencies.
The scanner will come with a converter to BNC, just make sure you have a male BNC connector on the end of your antenna cable.
pussnboobs

Post by pussnboobs »

Well its here my new 396 scanner has just arrived, while i have been waiting for it i have been reading a bit on setting it up sounds fairly complicated any tips to get started.
Newy1234

Post by Newy1234 »

Comint

Post by Comint »

pussnboobs wrote:Well its here my new 396 scanner has just arrived, while i have been waiting for it i have been reading a bit on setting it up sounds fairly complicated any tips to get started.
Have a read of this Site

--
Comint
pussnboobs

Post by pussnboobs »

Thanks guys these two that have been suggested are the two I have reading.
Just sitting down going through it.
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Might seem a little draughtiness initially, but you will bet there and enjoy your new scanner