School of the air & RFDS

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Australia, covering all states and territories - discussion that is on a national level only
turbine_prop

School of the air & RFDS

Post by turbine_prop »

Hi all.

Just wondering if the school of the air operates on hf any more I used to hear them many moons ago but they have long since vanished from the frequencies that I have.

I have seen video's on the news or on an outback tv show that shows a school of the air and kids on what looks to be skype or similar and I was wondering has the school of the air long since gone that terrible word "Digital" and thus can no longer be monitored.

Even the RFDS have very much reduced their hf frequencies to just a few I'm guessing with the incredible roll out of new air services comms network Aust wide that maybe they are more using that now.

Regards
Turbine_Prop
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne
alphanull25

Re: School of the air & RFDS

Post by alphanull25 »

School of the Air disappeared ages ago with the improvement of internet services. Multi user class rooms can now be run on systems like Blackboard Collaraborate. It works quite well even on slow internet connections. RFDS can be heard under the new callsigns of flydoc in QLD and ambulance in NSW on the main airband channels. They use the HF airband channels in remote areas.
turbine_prop

Post by turbine_prop »

Thanks for that alphanull25 sorry about the late reply but I have been away interstate for work with trusty scanner in hand I am about to post up under NSW emergency Services.

Regards
Turbine_prop.
Regards
Wayne
Melbourne
miketrike

Post by miketrike »

School of The Air is alive and well. :)
They still call it that too. All done online now though, video conference where required and skype/email etc.

Current teachers have heard about HF radio "in the old days" ROFL.
pfdotn

Post by pfdotn »

Well, this brings back memories. I did school of the air for a few months when I was a young'un; had an old Codan rig in my bedroom. It used to be nearly impossible for me to call in during my assigned slot -- early in the morning -- as there was some sort of local interference that was truly horrific. I'd always clear up in the afternoon but by then of course other classes were running, and my chance was gone.

I missed those days, as it was great being a kid who would start the day's school work at 9am and be done two hours later.