new england hwy

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Australia, covering all states and territories - discussion that is on a national level only
bananaman

new england hwy

Post by bananaman »

can anyone tell me why the New england hwy is on channel 29and the rest of Australia is on channel 40? thanks
Stretch
Forum Manager

new england hwy

Post by Stretch »

I always though ch 29 was the highway channel in NSW but 40 in QLD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mitch Rogers
bananaman

Re: new england hwy

Post by bananaman »

i was talking to my father inlaw who is a truck driver and said the only hwy on 29 is the new england so does the gme book would like to know why this is so
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

Bananaman i have travelled to Wollongong via the Pacific Highway, the Pacific from around Beenliegh is also on ch29 right the way down to wollongong
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Kevaclone

Post by Kevaclone »

The channel 29 is for the Pacific Only
the rest of NSW and everywhere else is channel 40
the reason is that there are plenty of places that traffic on the New England can be heard very clear on the Pacific and vice versa. so to avoid interference the Pacific uses 29
29 is a much better option as the "Go Down A Couple" doesn't put then on a repeater channel and should have been the channel to use from the start as a highway channel
Azoic

Post by Azoic »

As a regular commuter from Grafton to Sydney, i use UHF Ch 29 all the time. The reasons are varied as to why, but Ch 29 is the chosen "Truckies" channel. Its similar to Ch 8 on 27 Mhz CB radio. Mostly road reports and "Howdy" type chat. Most truck drivers drop to Ch 24 for a "convo" then slip back up to 29 for road news. The "Official " Pacific Highway channel for trucks between Ballina and Raymond Terrace is UHF Ch 29.
I assume it the same for the New England too....
peaman

Post by peaman »

I always scan 29 and 40 when I'm travelling!

I've heard general truckie chat on 29 as far up as the D'Aguilar Hwy off ramp at Caboolture Qld, and general truckie chat on 40 down at Ballina and further south to Coffs Harbour.

I guess as it's CB radio, people just make their own rules up and others follow. There isn't a designated area to change channel from one to the other, it's pretty much do whatever you want but over the years, word of mouth has spread and most truckies know when to change to the other channel. Mind you, I've been in a lot of trucks who scan both channels like I do!