Blue Tooth Frequencies?

Communications scanning & radio related discussion for Australia, covering all states and territories - discussion that is on a national level only
AIRMAN

Blue Tooth Frequencies?

Post by AIRMAN »

I read that someone can eavesdrop on a mobile user who is using a Blue Tooth or similar device because the device transmits the phone conversation to the ear piece is analog and isn't encrypted. Target has to be around 3 metres away. :shock:
Stretch
Forum Manager

Re: Blue Tooth Frequencies?

Post by Stretch »

My parents have several bluetooth devices.

Ill see what happens next time I'm near them
Mitch Rogers
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Bluetooth is the name for a short-range radio frequency (RF) technology that operates at 2.4 GHz
Bluetooth is extremely secure in that it employs several layers of data encryption and user authentication measures
Instead of transmitting over one frequency within the 2.4 GHz band, Bluetooth radios use a fast frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) technique, allowing only synchronized receivers to access the transmitted data
Frequency-Hopping Spread-Spectrum (FHSS) is a spread spectrum modulation scheme that uses a narrowband carrier that changes frequency in a pattern known to both transmitter and receiver. Properly synchronized, they maintain a single logical channel. To an unintended receiver, FHSS appears as short-duration impulse noise. More simply, the data is broken down into packets and transmitted to the receiver of other devices over numerous "hop frequencies" (79 total) in a pseudo random pattern. Only transmitters and receivers that are synchronized on the same hop frequency pattern will have access to the transmitted data. The transmitter switches hop frequencies 1,600 times per second to assure a high degree of data security.

I say good luck to those that want to try to listen in ....
alinco21

Post by alinco21 »

why would you even bother???? :sc
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Well there's your answer :P
Mitch Rogers
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

If you had equipment capable of doing it I would say do it just for the sake of saying you've done it haha.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

orangepeel wrote:The transmitter switches hop frequencies 1,600 times per second to assure a high degree of data security.
I hardly beleive even if you had the equipment - that you would be able to listen in ...

I think if you want to listen in - why not go up and stand beside the person - clearer reception than over the scanner ...
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

orangepeel wrote:Bluetooth is the name for a short-range radio frequency (RF) technology that operates at 2.4 GHz
Bluetooth is extremely secure in that it employs several layers of data encryption and user authentication measures
Instead of transmitting over one frequency within the 2.4 GHz band, Bluetooth radios use a fast frequency-hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) technique, allowing only synchronized receivers to access the transmitted data
Frequency-Hopping Spread-Spectrum (FHSS) is a spread spectrum modulation scheme that uses a narrowband carrier that changes frequency in a pattern known to both transmitter and receiver. Properly synchronized, they maintain a single logical channel. To an unintended receiver, FHSS appears as short-duration impulse noise. More simply, the data is broken down into packets and transmitted to the receiver of other devices over numerous "hop frequencies" (79 total) in a pseudo random pattern. Only transmitters and receivers that are synchronized on the same hop frequency pattern will have access to the transmitted data. The transmitter switches hop frequencies 1,600 times per second to assure a high degree of data security.

I say good luck to those that want to try to listen in ....
That's wonderful news for most of us OP........bad luck for the lurkers :lol:
FuhrerSheep

Post by FuhrerSheep »

Its more then possible.. not with a scanner though.
Using a Linux distro with a few tools and a bluetooth chipset you can most certainly do.. also access address books, make calls from the users phone and so on.. god this was fun back in the day!!
Phantom
Forum Manager

Blue Tooth Frequencies?

Post by Phantom »

... Back in the day maybe - highly doubtful and allowable today...
FuhrerSheep

Post by FuhrerSheep »

Still works Bluetooth 2.0 + ERD no issues... Bluetooth is EXTREMELY susceptible to attack.. While yes it has multiple layers of encryption/protection that are almost impossible to crack thats not what the payload targets. The payload targets the pin authentication. Basically it uses what the a three-way handshake with the device to ensure its the correct device to sync to. once the device is authenticated (this where bluetooths only security lets it down.) it requests the device to reauthenticate every x amount of seconds. once your listening to the specified device you can intercept this data and simply copy it. Then that device is yours!
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

Dont think it is right to condone this kind of behaviour - especially in your kind of work ...
FuhrerSheep

Post by FuhrerSheep »

Haha mate big difference between telling people to go out and sit in a maccas and steal data or doing at home to learn about the technology. I once was IT systems administrator so I love this sort of stuff.
I can assure you, I personally do NOT condone any form of data thief or inappropriate use of data capture device. its just for the curious.