Future of the radio scanning hobby, and encryption

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
comport1

Future of the radio scanning hobby, and encryption

Post by comport1 »

I just had to share this for something different and giggle.

Gives such a technical aspect in "the future of the radio scanning hobby, and encryption"

This bloke is in America i assume, and i just cannot take him seriously... :lol: :lol: but at least he tried!

Youtube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9-WlsXpg6g

Like i said, only for a laugh or what the moment?? ;)

Cheers
------------------------------------------
Comport1
blacktown
Forum Manager

Re: Future of the radio scanning hobby, and encryption

Post by blacktown »

I think his demeanour probably put you off his message. He is smarter than he appears

He had three messages

1) Public Service communications (ie emergency services) is largely run now by the IT industry. Even without the existence of scanners there would have been a progression to privacy of data and encryption because there always have been the big push in IT for this (due to the criminal element)

2) Technology is always progressing. Over the years communications has progressed from HF and VHF to UHF and now to 700/800/900Mhz. He gives examples in the progression of public (emergency) service radios and also in the types of radio scanners available

3) The way of the future for public service radios (and he assumes that that is what the hobbist is largely listening to) is the coming LTE evolution radios where comms is in a fully closed loop of digital packets. The only thing left to listen to in the long term is those companies and industries that don't convert over to LTE
grewar
Newly Registered Users

Post by grewar »

Just reflecting on changes in scanning.
I had an sds100 almost total silence except for the fire and ambos.
Nothing left to scan, even the taxis are digital encrypted......except ambos. I get full ambo signal for most of the western side of Vic and the tower here is only a couple of hundred metres away.
All this on my little old analogue scanner
AusPTT

Post by AusPTT »

grewar wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:29 pm Just reflecting on changes in scanning.
I had an sds100 almost total silence except for the fire and ambos.
All this on my little old analogue scanner
Search (not scan) the bands and if you have Close Call turn it on. You might be surprised what is left out there.

I was out the other night near an elusive building in town where I knew they had radios (could see them on the radios) but no licenses listed for the location. The building was too big to be using simplex effectively.

Turned on the close call and within a minute got the digital blurt of DMR from very close by. Looked up the frequency and it doesn't show on the ACMA database for that location, but same client 100 KM's away with the same infrastructure set up and same frequency has it licensed.

Haven't been back yet with a DMR programmed scanner, but I'm sure I know what I'll get.

It's amazing what is out there under your nose sometimes and you don't even know about it.
railscan

Post by railscan »

grewar wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:29 pm Just reflecting on changes in scanning. I had an sds100 almost total silence except for the fire and ambos. Nothing left to scan, even the taxis are digital encrypted......except ambos. I get full ambo signal for most of the western side of Vic and the tower here is only a couple of hundred metres away. All this on my little old analogue scanner
To an extent your situation is geographical. In a good number of regional areas, irrespective of the state, there is little to monitor. The 000 has either entirely or partially gone 'green' leaving a few local business. Those businesses rarely (I am speaking generally) adopt privacy on their assignments. Alas your local taxi is one that did.

While it is true that LTE has been taken up by a number of users, me included. It provides a relatively cheap, secure and wide area alternative. It is not however the panacea for all things communications. It has its failings and some users who were eager to take it up found that it did not meet their needs and returned to conventional radio. This is first hand knowledge from when I worked for a two way radio company.

Sadly scanning has had a more significant influence on agencies encrypting than some might realise. Radio Reference and its alter ego Broadcastify has directly caused a number of law enforcement departments to encrypt. Officer safety being cited as the main reason. Pages like this and those on Facebook etc are routinely scanned (pardon the pun) by those departments, agencies and organisations being reported in those very pages. To think otherwise is naive in the extreme. The somewhat limp excuse that most of the frequency information is in the public forum (ACMA database) is, while true, not justification for publishing additional information, widespread. Again personal experience tells me that agencies will risk assess the data being made public and decide whether privacy of communications is warranted. You can pretty well guarantee it will be.

Unfortunately common sense seems to have departed the hobby, replaced with an arrogance and bravado that the perceived anonymity on the internet brings. We only have ourselves to blame!

R
Pokitren
Newly Registered Users

Post by Pokitren »

comport1 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:08 am I just had to share this for something different and giggle.

Gives such a technical aspect in "the future of the radio scanning hobby, and encryption"

This bloke is in America i assume, and i just cannot take him seriously... :lol: :lol: but at least he tried!

Youtube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9-WlsXpg6g/

Like i said, only for a laugh or what the moment?? ;)

Cheers
This video was recorded over five years ago. But watching it, I realize that this guy said a lot of smart things. Encryption is more in demand these days than it seems!