Man cave or a New Radio Scanner

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
tanger32au

Man cave or a New Radio Scanner

Post by tanger32au »

Shortly I will have some extra cash due to my recent amount of overtime worked. My wife is going away on a short trip so I will have a few days of spare time.

My original plan was to build my man cave, I have designed a floor plan and costed the required building materials. Last night I started thinking that maybe the money would be better spent on a new radio scanner?

I already have a desk in the bedroom which has all my radios on it and an external aerial running in from outside.

Advantages of the man cave:
- it is my own space
- I can set up my current scanners for logging / recording when I am not home using a laptop.

Advantages of a new scanner:
- I can do the logging directly on the scanner
- It does not take me away from the house and my family.

Cost wise it is about the same for either option.
Blake

Re: Man cave or a New Radio Scanner

Post by Blake »

Hard decision. :shock:
Why not both :lol: :roll:

When I take the pros & cons of both into considerations, and what i'd do if I was in you position, knowing what I know now,
i'd choose the man cave.

Absolutely nothing (even that new scanner feeling) beats the feeling of your own cave, where you can do what you want, arrange what you want, where you want, and having a place of your own.

A cave for which you think will only be used for one thing (i.e. scanning/radio) become something much more.
It become a valuable asset where you can spread out, and have a physical extension of you psyche arranged visually.

But that's just IMO.
You may just want a new scanner :lol:
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

Both have advantages. A man cave is something I have wanted for ages. A new scanner would let me do a few different things.
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

I would build the man cave first.
Once you've got that, you will have somewhere to operate the new scanner (which you KNOW you'll buy eventually)!
:-)
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
comport1

Post by comport1 »

I have the best of both worlds...... a man cave full of scanners!!! ;)
------------------------------------------
Comport1
tanger32au

Post by tanger32au »

comport1 wrote:I have the best of both worlds...... a man cave full of scanners!!! ;)
That is my plan.