Will this work?

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
RadioKid

Will this work?

Post by RadioKid »

Hey guys,
I picked this up in a council clean up. I thought it might work as a scanner antenna. Its an old indoor TV antenna.
Will it work as a wideband antenna?

Cheers, Matty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uniden UBC126AT, Baofeng GT3
Vkfour

Re: Will this work?

Post by Vkfour »

Experiment. Plug it in and experiment with different lengths, different angles and so on. It may not work, it may work well, you don't know until you try. RF, particularly at VHF and UHF is strange stuff and things that should work, often times don't, and things that shouldn't often times do.
railscan

Post by railscan »

It is a piece of metal connected to a receiver via another piece of metal. It will work. The question is, how effectively will it work? That is very much the unknown. Try to get it as high as possible, keep the whips as vertical as possible and don't worry about the 75 / 50 Ohm mismatch it does not exist in a passive environment like of piece of wire. The impedance is at the device.

R
RadioKid

Post by RadioKid »

Cheers guys. Ill try it on the scanner up high on the roof.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
Uniden UBC126AT, Baofeng GT3