which multimeter? advice

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
chilicom

which multimeter? advice

Post by chilicom »

Hi I am needing to get a multimeter and unsure what to get and after some advice or suggestions.The ones that have been suggested by the store are a kyoritsu 1011ky with temperature compact digital and a fluke 115 field service test multimeter digital. Or the 116. Is the temperature going to be useful?. microamps ?The 1011ky is cheaper .But I can get a good price on either. Has anyone had any experience of these and the reliability of the brand. Or any other suggestions. Any input would be appreciated, thanks
Vkfour

Re: which multimeter? advice

Post by Vkfour »

What are you going to use it for? How often are you likely to use it? Professional or amateur? Once we know these answers, a proper opinion can be given.
chilicom

Post by chilicom »

Thanks , I'm aiming to get my amateur radio licence in the future. For now I'm getting back into scanning after a long break. Wanting to build, repair, test, modify as much as l can including leads and antennas.etc. As my knowledge and skills grow (hopefully) wanting a DMM that has the functionality to do all the things I don't even know are useful and important now. Would use very regularly.
I assume more electronics focused than electrical what ever that means. Safety quality accuracy functionality range surprise surprise. Preliminary research suggests the fluke brand or similar is what to go for?. The fluke 115 doesn't have microamps (corrected previous typo) but the 116 does? Temperature would be useful.
I'm very keen on building and installing my own antennas for minimal cost, like us all.
Open to any and all thoughts advice what others are using and blowing my assumptions out of the water. Thank you.
Last edited by chilicom on Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Comint

Post by Comint »

chilicom wrote: The fluke 115 doesn't have miliamps but the 116 does? Temperature would be useful.
You definitely need milliamps.

--
Comint
Vkfour

Post by Vkfour »

You will definitely need milliamps alright, but not micoamps. Both are good units, but have a look around as there are a lot of others out there that will do what you want, and more, for a lot less dollars.
chilicom

Re: which multimeter?

Post by chilicom »

The uni-t 61e multimeter seems to have functions for the price. Though few safety features. Does anyone have any experience with one. What is the best way to learn how to use multimeters safely. Thanks.
Last edited by chilicom on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chilicom

Re: which multimeter?

Post by chilicom »

The uni-t 61e multimeter seems to have functions for the price. Have found a cheap fluke 117 about the same price as the uni-t. Would the amp range on the 117 be ok for basic electronics and amateur radio use. I've read so many reviews with conflicting views. Just confused now. The volt alert and loz others have said would be useful. Thanks
Finch

Post by Finch »

We have a Fluke 117 in our workshop, it has had a very hard life dropped and thrown, dragged by its leads etc and has never missed a beat over at least 8+ years of use 5 days a week, we have of course chewed through multiple sets of test leads though as you would expect. The volt alert function can be surprisingly useful at times too.
I can strongly recommend a 117 when it comes to reliability and longevity, however we don't use the current range at all as we only use clamp-meters for current measurement so I can't give you an insight into the current measuring function.

I personally have a Fluke 28II which is also great but it is significantly physically bigger than the 117 and it is not ideal for field measurements and fault finding as it is almost too large for one hand and in awkward places it starts to show.
Unlike the 28II the 117 fits into your hand almost perfectly and is also lighter and is a great all rounder for sure.
-Alex