Where were you - 9/11 2001?

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
Phantom
Forum Manager

Post by Phantom »

We all remember where we were when it all unfolded....

10yrs on from that dreadful day - time to remember...

Tell us where you were, what your initial thoughts were, what you were doing?
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: Where were you - 9/11 2001?

Post by Phantom »

I was out at Dirranbandi on a charter.

We went into the "local" and had a feed and a few too many beers. I decided to call it a night and went back to my donga to sleep on the beers before the morning departure back home.

I awoke to an almighty "BANG" and here was one of my passengers in my room. He was tanked to the eye-balls - standing in nothing more than his socks and jocks. He came in and turned on the TV and said "WATCH THIS"....

I thought it was nothing more than a late-night movie and told him to bugger off and enjoy the hangover in the morning...

I rolled over and went back to sleep. Around 30mins later I awoke to check back in on "that" movie. Bugger me if it was not real.

Flying home the next morning was chilling as so many thoughts were going thru everyones head and we didnt stop talking about it all the way home.

Certainly will never forget that day in September 2001.

Ironically, I will be working again 10yrs and this time there is a bullet-proof door between me and the cabin. Sad how things have changed, but its a small price to pay considering the price that was paid on that day back in 2001.
firescan

Post by firescan »

I was 11 at the time, and lived in Goondiwindi, South West Qld. I remember waking up, the first of the breaking news was just appearing on the morning news. That sight of the planes hitting the towers, is one I'll never forget.

At school that day the entire school of 300 odd students and teachers, stayed in front of a screen with the CNN news on. and we watched over and over again. we were a primary school, aged 6-12, but we all knew what it meant..
UBC73XLT, IC-400 Pro
bodyguard

Post by bodyguard »

yeah the US government did a good job on the people of the world.
Cheers
BG

UBC9000XLT, UBCT8, BCT15X, UBC92XLT, Kenwood R-5000, PSR-410 , KG-UVD1P
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

Not wrong i remember my step father waking my brother and I, I like many others thought it was a movie and all my high school teachers were watching. 10 years on alot has changed transport security is alittle different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

I would've been 9 at the time. Remember dad coming into my room to wake me up telling me there's something I better come and see. I then spent the rest of that morning sitting in front of the TV watching the countless news reports. I didn't understand the significance and how many people would be killed that day, but I still realised it was something big.

And I'll never forget it.
Mitch Rogers
leniboy

Post by leniboy »

I was just about to go to bed and thought I would watch some tv before nodding off and, like everyone else, couldn't believe what I was seeing. At that point it was not long after the North Tower was hit and I was watching a live feed from CBS. It was still a live feed and the presenter was talking about it and mentioned the fact that there was another plane now in view and then watched it smash into the second tower. Unbelievable back then and still very much so.
I've been inside the WTC and had lunch and enjoyed the views from the top a couple of times when in NY. I remember standing on top of viewing deck and marvelling at the engineering involved in constructing those buildings and having nothing but admiration of the planning, construction and operation of these cities in the air. Even walking around the surrounding streets where these behemoths of construction rise up out of the ground was amazing.
My heart goes out to all those lost and involved with this terrible incident in our history.
Last edited by leniboy on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BCD996XT BCD396XT UBC9000XLT BC785D ICOM IC-R1500 ICOM R7000 ICOM R75 KENWOOD R5000 KENWOOD RZ-1 AOR 8200MK3
rochedalescan
Founder

Post by rochedalescan »

Mines the same as stretch I was 9 at the time i just remember getting up to it in the morning, very tragic day and one that will go down in history. On another note I heard that the FBI were interested in a couple of males that had made there way into the country for the 10 year anniversary and were suspected to be involved on the planning of a car bomb.
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Scannersplitterguy

Post by Scannersplitterguy »

I was just about to go to bed and my missus said she just heard from a friend in the US (via IRC - remember that?) what had started unfolding in New York. It was around midnight, I think. We turned the TV on and were glued to the screen for hours. It was, like most have said, a movie - you couldn't believe what was happening.
I honestly started to wonder if WW3 would start that night, the implications of 9/11 were that bad.
I recorded about 12 hours of the footage and still have it on VHS tape.
Oh BTW, I was in Qld.
http://www.scannerantennasplitter.com
http://www.acdcmanuals.com
AOR AR8200MK3, Icom IC-R75, UBC370CRS, UH7750NB, SR162 VHF AIS, SDR USB Dongle, Anytone AT-6666, Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah 27 MHz AM/SSB, QJE QJ-PS30II 30A PSU, Diamond DJ-130 Discone, Shockwave 5/8 27MHz, DIY HF longwire
AIRMAN

Post by AIRMAN »

I was at my south coast holiday house. My wife had gone to bed and me being a night owl was working in my office downstairs. As always I had the TV on in mute mode. I glanced around at it and saw the UN tower on fire and thought I was looking at one of those sick disaster movies. I checked the channel and saw it was on CNN, so the night went on with me watching the terrible events unfold. When I eventually witnessed the coverage of the towers collapsing I wept.

I will never forget.
wombat tow

Post by wombat tow »

i was laying in bed watching the late news when they crossed to the usa for a breaking story and as they were talking about the first plane hitting the tower the second come in for a direct hit on the second live on tv.
what was more disturbing was watching those people jump out of windows, they knew that they were going to die but decided to jump than be burnt to death.

rip all those who have gone
Sawman

Post by Sawman »

I was on shift and we had just got a call. I went in to talk to the guy in the watchroom and he had the TV on and was watching the footage (it had only just happened as the second plane hadn't hit). I remember asking him "what movie is this?" he said "it just happened mate, its real".The boys came back from the job (a real estate sign alight) and the entire station just watched the TV until the end of shift.
I emailed 3 FDNY guys I'd been talking to for about a year as I was lining up a 6 month stint over there with their fire houses and never got a reply. Unfortunately all 3 were part of the 343 fire fighters who made the ultimate sacrifice.
davidquentinorf
Newly Registered Users

Post by davidquentinorf »

I honestly started to wonder if WW3 would start that night, the implications of 9/11 were that bad.
I recorded about 12 hours of the footage and still have it on VHS tape.