GPS Tracking

If you have something to say that just doesn't fit into any of the forums above, then post it here, remember to keep it PG rated for the kids
rochedalescan
Founder

GPS Tracking

Post by rochedalescan »

Hi all,

I was having a read through this american site and came across a page discussing GPS Tracking (more specifically for trains over there)
On Track online
I was wondering if anyone knows much about this and if there are similar systems over here that can be tracked ?

Cheers Shane
Last edited by Phil on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please code your url's
Shane Logan
Aussiescanners Founder

Australia's Premier Communications forum!
~ Please contact Phil for administration enquiries ~
Phantom
Forum Manager

Re: GPS Tracking

Post by Phantom »

Dont know if this is kinda what you mean - however in HAM radio - we have this system on the digital radio system APRS this is the Brisbane map - however it is fairly much located to the city areas - but slowly expanding and becoming more popular - however typically need to either have a radio that can be upgraded for the system or folk out some $$$ for a new digital capable radio

You may be able to see a mobile radio in a car that is updating its position (GPS) via the radio network and it uploaded on a map (suppose no more lying to XYL as to where you are/have been)
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

there is a system similar that controls the Radio changes the QR Channels on a different note Translinks Ticket Machines on board Bus, and Ferries are all GPS Tracking so BCC Busses are using two different systems that track there movements one for translink one for Bus Control thru there Zeon Digital Network.

Further to the QR thingy i have found a link on Tait website that alliterates more on the GPS thing
Here
Last edited by Phil on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add more details
Phil
Forum Administrator
phil@aussiescanners.com.au

Uniden UBCD996T, RH96, UBCD396xt, Uniden UBCD563-PT
RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Simoco SRM9030 AC, SRM9022 UW
Hytera - PD412, PD462, PD682, MD782G, PD782G
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
hotmetal1000

Post by hotmetal1000 »

Taxis must have some form of tracking system, I quit often here the coms guy saying something about a taxis position with the only way he could know is if they have some form of tracking.
Sowerbys towing up here in Toowoomba have a tracking on all their trucks as well. In the office you can see where any truck is via a pc. I will ask tonight more about it.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

hotmetal1000 wrote:Taxis must have some form of tracking system, I quit often here the coms guy saying something about a taxis position with the only way he could know is if they have some form of tracking.
Sowerbys towing up here in Toowoomba have a tracking on all their trucks as well. In the office you can see where any truck is via a pc. I will ask tonight more about it.
Don't QAS vehicles have tracking? I'm sure I've heard comms directing crews from a map that they can see.`
Mitch Rogers
Comint

Post by Comint »

The variant used by Commercial Vehicles etc., is known as AVL (Automatc Vehicle Location).

--
Comint
hotmetal1000

Post by hotmetal1000 »

rochedalescan wrote:Hi all,

I was having a read through this american site and came across a page discussing GPS Tracking (more specifically for trains over there)
On Track online

I was wondering if anyone knows much about this and if there are similar systems over here that can be tracked ?

Cheers Shane
I just reread that article, isn't he just using a gps to track the train that he is sitting on, it's not the train itself that has the tracking device.
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

Stretch wrote:
hotmetal1000 wrote:Taxis must have some form of tracking system, I quit often here the coms guy saying something about a taxis position with the only way he could know is if they have some form of tracking.
Don't QAS vehicles have tracking? I'm sure I've heard comms directing crews from a map that they can see.`
yes highly tru the monitor is able to track there location down to the very street they are on. they talk about this in the EMD Info Nights, the program is ezicad or something i am sure i spelt it wrong
Phil
Forum Administrator

RTL-SDRs way to many
Motorola GP328, GP338, GP328 Plus, XTS3000, DP3400 VHF, DP2600e, DP4801e, DM4601e, XTL5000-03, XTS2500 M3
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Phil
Administrator

Post by Phil »

hotmetal1000 wrote:
rochedalescan wrote:Hi all,

On Track online

Cheers Shane
I just reread that articale, isn't he just using a gps to track the train that he is sitting on, it's not the train itself that has the tracking device.
i believe you are correct they even had a deal going with QUT to try and get a speed on the gps aswell mind you the more modern trains are using taits to pick the strongest signal very similar to the GPS Function on the Uniden 996T i believe
Last edited by Phil on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fix of Uniden Model Number
Phil
Forum Administrator

RTL-SDRs way to many
Barrett 950
Icom IC-F60, IC-410 Pro
Tait TM8250
Kenwood - NX720HG
Fireman_DJ

Post by Fireman_DJ »

The DSE fire service has GPS tracking in their new Simco radios and I have access to their website to view the data.
I actually should have one of the GPS tracking radios in my fuel truck, but the DSE gave the wrong radio unit.

Also, the Navman GPS unit I have in the truck also has GPS tracking, plus it can send and receive messages to/from the office.
BradT87

Post by BradT87 »

All Gold Coast Rural Fire Brigade vehicles have tracking through their radios.

Not sure of the specifics, but you can be working on one channel and the radio (with inbuilt GPS) sends a data signal containing the appliances current location through on another channel. It can be recieved and viewed on a computer based live map on the Gold Coast RFB Incident Support truck.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

BradT87 wrote:All Gold Coast Rural Fire Brigade vehicles have tracking through their radios.

Not sure of the specifics, but you can be working on one channel and the radio (with inbuilt GPS) sends a data signal containing the appliances current location through on another channel. It can be recieved and viewed on a computer based live map on the Gold Coast RFB Incident Support truck.
Brad,

If that's the case, why does the brigade do this then?? (taken from the Mudgeeraba RFB Page
In addition to the new vehicle we are installing at siginificant cost to the brigade a GPS tracking system that will improve fire fighter safety and fire fighting effectiveness by providing command personnel with vital information relating to the location of all Gold Coast based rural fire fighting appliances.
Mitch Rogers
BradT87

Post by BradT87 »

They're probably talking about the exact same thing. It's a little poorly worded; I can't tell if they're saying they are installing a GPS tracker in a truck or a device that recieves and displays data from all other appliances.

Neither would make sense. The tracking is part of the radio, you don't need a separate unit.

Not much is free in the RFS, as far as i (may or may not) know, something like the GPS Radios would be heavily funded by the individual brigade via fund-raising / use of fire levies.
Stretch
Forum Manager

Post by Stretch »

Yeah they do say that they desperately need donations as their fire levy only accounts for one third of the annual expenditure.
Mitch Rogers
wocket
Newly Registered Users

Post by wocket »

Stretch wrote:Yeah they do say that they desperately need donations as their fire levy only accounts for one third of the annual expenditure.
Hi Guys
I know this thread is over a year old (Make the point even more valid)
How long is the AVL/GPS trial going for ?
I'm a member of the "Rurals" and a Ham, I've been allover our trucks as well as a few from other brigades. No GPS tracking system anywhere to be see (Except on my rear parcel shelf and boot).

I've been listing to the listing to a few of the different emergency services and clearly no of the one I have any sort of locating system or it is seriously flawed, why would operators continually be asking "Unit XXX where are you?"
QRFS do have some Simoco SRM900 series radios but the one I has looked at do not have the MA-ASIGF board fitted and definitely not external GPS RX or GPS antenna.

Rod
Icom IC-706MKIIG IC-208H
Kenwood TM-G707
Motorola GP300 GM350
Philips PRM8010+Opentracker
And large junk box